Thursday, March 08, 2007

Scooter Libby

As you can imagine, I have some sympathy with him and his family, although he will likely not see a jail cell for a while, as he will be out on bail while his appeals run. Although a lot of folks are criticizing the fact that there was no underlying crime for Libby to lie about, that doesn't make it right to lie to the FBI and other governmental investigators. Frankly, better to say nothing at all. That's the counsel I'd give most anybody who was being asked questions by a cop or other governmental officer. Either plead the Fifth or say "I don't know/remember." I suppose in certain circumstances that could be a lie, but don't fall for the old "If I just explain it, the cop will understand" idea. Yeah, he'll understand that you're a sucker and he can twist what you say to get you in trouble. Just dummy up.

No comments: