Wednesday, April 27, 2005

The Shape of Days: There’s a line, and it got crossed

Jeff Harrell is quite upset about a Mac site (he's a Macophile) that tells people how to illegally download stuff off the Internet. One of my best friends writes music for a living and he is equally up in arms about illegal copying and downloading. I've had many conversations about this and I've come to a few conclusions. One, it is currently illegal. I don't think there's much doubt about that. Two, morally, it's no where near as clear. Now, we're talking about two different things, here, downloading and copying. Downloading is a little more clear, morally, since you didn't pay for it, but you want it. But what if you did pay for it, by paying for cable to see a TV show, but missed it due to a power outage. Can you morally download it to watch it, even though you're not paying the downloadee but you DID pay the cable company and didn't get what you paid for? As for copying, once I buy something, do I own it or don't I? Why can't I make copies for my own personal use? Why am I restricted to using something I own in the manner in which someone else wants me to use it? Isn't there a Constitutional right to privacy?(Griswold v. Connecticut) I have a real problem with letting people buy a lawnmower and then saying, you can't loan it to your neighbor.

No comments: