Monday, September 12, 2005

Federal Response to Katrina

"But Bush's management style -- which relies on others to do their jobs -- is clearly inappropriate for government. The Federal government, after all, is the nation's nanny, and for Bush not to have recognized that local governments are essentially figurehead regimes quite unable to handle local emergencies (nor should they be required to: we have the federal government for that, after all, and they have all the money and power) is a failing of imagination UNPRECEDENTED in the annals of EVER."

So opines Jeff Goldstein at proteinwisdom.com. I wish I'd written that. I think the media has pulled a swindle on the American people. Not only is the human death toll not nearly as bad as first reported, the federal response is much better than has been reported. The truth is so irrelevant in times like this, I guess. It makes me sad.

No comments: