Saturday, July 23, 2005

John Roberts

Good. I think. But we don't know, do we? His opinion in "the french-fry case" gives us cause to hope, though, doesn't it? A judge who will say, "This law is stupid. It's damn stupid. It's so stupid as to be ridiculous. However, since I am not the legislature, it is not my job to judge the wisdom of a particular law, but whether or not it comports with our Constitution. Since this damn stupid law IS rationally related to a legitimate government purpose, I can't find it unconstitutional." That's what I want judges to do, leave the lawmaking to the lawmakers. 51%-ism, hah! People who use that phrase (which is called democracy in most other quarters) sound like poor losers. "I can't win elections, because most people think I'm nuts. Damn you, 51%-ism!"

No comments: